(28 November 2017) – The Commission and the EIB have launched a new advisory service. URBIS, for “Urban Investment Support” will help cities plan investments to support their own urban development strategies and get easier access to finance.
URBIS will consist of European Investment Bank (EIB) experts from the institution’s different advisory and project services, including EIB staff located across Member States and experts from JASPERS, the independent team specialised in preparing quality EU-funded projects. URBIS will help:
• Improve a city’s investment strategy by giving advice in strategic planning, prioritising and optimising of investment programmes and projects.
• Bring projects and investment programmes to a bankable stage, for example by providing analysis on demand or support in financial structuring and by reviewing draft grant applications.
• Explore opportunities for financing under the European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI), Cohesion Policy funds — under which over €100 billion is being invested in urban areas over 2014-2020 — or both combined.
• Support the preparation work for investment platforms and facilities combining funds, liaise with financial intermediaries and set up implementation arrangements for these facilities.
• Develop financing approaches aiming at alleviating the burden on municipal debt and at helping municipal companies and private urban service providers access funding.